Starting A Family History
- Write Down everything you know and think you know.
- Ask Family Members to write down what they know and stories they have heard
- Always record dates and names of the people who give you the information
- Choose a format to record your information – either a computer program like Family Tree Maker or one of several other. (FTM – This is my personal choice).
- Decide if you are searching your direct line ancestors – straight back or current ancestors – including uncles and aunts and cousins.
- ALWAYS RECORD WHERE YOU FIND THE INFORMATION FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
- The list below will help you with where to look for information on the internet — P.S. there are many other resources not on the internet – cemeteries , libraries and Historians.
Other Genealogy Websites
A Guide to Genealogy (For Bailey)