History – South Park Cemetery

South Park Cemetery — located at the corner of Southdale Line and Sunset Road — was added to the holdings of St. Thomas Cemetery Company in 1910.

The land was purchased from E.D. Welding whose farm was 71 acres. Testing was done and it was decided that not all the land was suitable for burial purposes; 50 acres were sold and are now owned by Canadale Nurseries.

This site, so very different from the setting at West Ave., has not been promoted as people did not see and hear the beauty in the land.

South Park has, not the rolling hills, but the flat, level, beautiful land of the Prairies. You can see the distant sunrise and the sunset from every angle of this cemetery.

The War Veterans Association obviously saw the beauty in this land. They approached the cemetery company concerning the burials of returned soldiers. The Memorial Plot was established and the cross was unveiled in that section by Brigadier General King in 1922. The Memorial Plot is maintained, within the confines of the cemetery bylaws, by the Legion Branch #41.

South Park Cemetery is now the home of a Columbarium – the cremation mausoleum. It is surrounded with lovely shrubs and a walking path, and is a most distinctive monument for eternal memories.